Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Printing with Rubber Blocks and Linoleum Cutting Tools

So I've been on a non-stop visual purge lately, much to the chagrin of my inner neat-freak.

Making art with your hands can be dirty and messy and I love it! Having been tied to the computer making vector graphics and midi-pre-production music for the last couple of projects I've worked on, I was more than happy to get paint and ink all over my hands again.

These pieces are the ones I'm most satisfied with this week. I started carving away at the rubber printing blocks on Sunday night and by Wednesday morning:





The process is really simple.  With my linoleum cutting tool (pictured), I started carving away at some print blocks made of rubber. Everything I cut away would be white, and everything I left untouched would print the colour I applied to it. When printing, sometimes brush strokes or marks from the roller were left behind. I kept those for interesting textures. As I had a limited supply of colours to print with, I ended up digitally colouring the pieces and cutting the compositions into a unified square format.



No comments:

Post a Comment